interspersed and cut off

Pete Gontier pete at gontier.org
Mon Jun 11 20:47:07 PDT 2007

On Jun 11, 2007, at 6:05 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> I ended up with "+apache" and second-guessing the instructions
>> emitted to work with the Apache that was already on Panther, and
>> this seems to have gone swimmingly. Having achieved comfort with
>> variants, I threw in some more: "+mysql5 +sqlite +pear". We'll see
>> what I get out of "+mysql5" in a few hundred years when my glacial
>> development server finishes building all that I've thrown at it. I
>> suspect I probably should have built mysql5 with its own set of
>> variants (I would have thought "server" was implicit but it
>> appears not to be), but maybe it will all work out. Good thing I
>> am not in a hurry or I'd have to actually know what I am doing
>> before trying it. :-)
>
> Yes, if you want to run a MySQL 5 server, you will need to
> uninstall the mysql5 port that just got installed (sudo port -f
> uninstall mysql5), and then install it with +server (sudo port
> install mysql5 +server). And this will again take a long time.
> Sorry...

No need for apologies. This project is really well-put-together. The
fact that I don't know how to use it well yet, and the fact that I am
running it on a foolishly slow system, are hardly your problems. If I
had any complaint it might be that I could have used some documentary
detail on the variants. Right now, I'm scratching my head trying to
figure out what good MySQL is without it being a server. Maybe that's
what I want and I just don't understand exactly what "+server"
implies. I'm probably going to install phpMySQL and see if I can get
all these packages talking to each other on the same system, and if
so then skipping "+server" was the right thing to do. And yes of
course I understand that when someone whines about documentation then
the thing to do is ask them to contribute some. Consider me
asked. :-) I will if I can.