python24 install failure

Kevin Horton khorton01 at rogers.com
Tue Mar 6 15:56:35 PST 2007

On 6 Mar 2007, at 18:00, Christian Voelker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 06.03.2007 um 21:33 schrieb Kevin Horton:
>
>> Or, is this cruft left over from my previous installed ports
>
> I would try
>
> port clean --work all

done

> port clean --archive all

done

> sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

done

> Then check whether old python port were uninstalled
> properly:
>
> port installed | grep py*

  % port installed | grep py*
zsh: no matches found: py*

> Uninstall the stuff that might interfere with your
> current installation. Maybe this is best done first
> of all. Now, if it does not work afterwards, you
> can read your /etc/profile and .profile and .login
> files to find strange environment variable settings.
> Tell us about your findings.

I'm not sure exactly what the above means.  Is this referring to
Fink?  If so, I changed my path to not have /sw/bin in it.  Renaming /
sw is a bit of a problem for me, as I discovered when I tried it
earlier this afternoon.  The way my login shells are set, they expect
to find /sw.  If not, they don't load, and I can't change from my
normal, unpriviledged user to an user with administrative
priviledges,  And I can't rename it back to /sw as my normal user.  I
eventually had to reboot in Target Disk Mode, and use another Mac to
sort things out.  Ugh.

After doing all the above, python24 builds.  But, looking at the
build output, I see hundreds of references to /sw/lib or /sw/include,
e.g.

/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup build/
temp.darwin-8.8.0-Power_Macintosh-2.4/grpmodule.o -L/opt/local/lib -L/
sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o build/lib.darwin-8.8.0-Power_Macintosh-2.4/
grp.so

Where are these coming from, if /sw is not in my path?  Is there no
way to prevent MacPorts from being polluted with Fink stuff, short of
renaming or removing /sw?  If renaming it works, why wouldn't
removing it from the path work?  Are new login shells being created,
and my login scripts are putting /sw in their paths?  Or, is /sw in
the default search path for the python build?

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada