MAMP installation fails over libxml on MacBook SOLVED

Elise van Looij evlooij at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 17 06:22:13 PDT 2007

After struggling for a few days and getting nowhere, I decided to
make a fresh start. When I got my MacBook I took advantage of a very
handy OSX feature, namely the offer to hook it up via firewire to my
old iBook and have everything automatically copied. This worked
great, within three hours all my user info, documents, programs,
bookmarks etc. had been transferred to the new laptop and I could
practically continue where I left off, except for my MAMP
installation. I don't know whether it was the copying process itself
or my decision to install MacPorts all over again, but anyway
everything I did seemed to result in error messages noone else was
getting.
Fed up with everything I located the /opt folder (it was not visible
in te Finder until I used Spotlight to find it) and threw the whole
shebang in the wastebasked, restarted the machine, made sure personal
webserver was shut down in System Preference, and reinstalled
MacPorts, Apache, MySQL, Subversion and PHP. This time everything
went off without a single error message. I'm not up and running yet
(for some reason the httpd.conf is not yet configured right), but at
least this whole libxml2 nonsense is over.

Elise van Looij