port activate error: can't read "revision": no such variable

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Wed May 9 21:58:03 PDT 2007

Hi,

On 10/05/2007, at 08:22, Paulo Moura wrote:

> The problem seems to be that MacPorts is not properly escaping
> version strings. The "3.0.1+" version comes from the software that
> the Portfile gets from CVS. This leads me to use the same version
> name on the portfile, otherwise the symbolic link that is created
> on the post-destroot phase would be broken. The software builds
> without trouble but fails on activation with the same dreaded error:
>
> <snip />

> DEBUG: Executing com.apple.activate (xsb)
> --->  Activating xsb 3.0.1+_0
> Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: can't read "revision":
> no such variable
> Warning: the following items did not execute (for xsb):
> com.apple.activate

You wouldn't happen to be running MacPorts from ToT (a.k.a. trunk),
rather than a release version?  James Berry has committed some
changes recently that removes '+' from the list of acceptable
characters in port names (see top of the current ChangeLog [1]).  If
that's not it, I'm out of ideas :-)

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/base/