rsync daemon down?

Evan Weaver evan at cloudbur.st
Fri Nov 16 00:49:58 PST 2007

Hmm. Still having trouble. I shut off the OS X 10.4.10 Firewall, and
shut off the application "Little Snitch", and my company's VPN app.
Still:

chloe:~ eweaver$ telnet rsync.macports.org 873
Trying 17.254.17.246...
telnet: connect to address 17.254.17.246: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Incidentally I can see it ok from the router itself (OpenWRT):

root at blondie:~$ telnet rsync.macports.org 873
@RSYNCD: 28

Also I can see it from an Ubuntu server on the same LAN:

eweaver at brooke:~$ telnet rsync.macports.org 873
Trying 17.254.17.246...
Connected to alpha.macosforge.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
@RSYNCD: 28

I'll try rebooting this machine in a minute in case something has gone
horribly wrong with the local DNS cache.

Thanks for your help

Evan

On Nov 16, 2007 3:30 AM, Tomasz Finc <tomasz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Works just fine for me
>
>  [tomasz at StayPuft:~]$ date ; sudo port selfupdate -d
>
>  Fri Nov 16 00:21:22 PST 2007
>  Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.macports.org
> /release/ports/

> sent 73 bytes  received 5486 bytes  3706.00 bytes/sec
> total size is 3642988  speedup is 655.33
> Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.520
> The MacPorts installation is not outdated and so was not updated
> selfupdate done!
>
> Try doing a telnet connection to port 873 and 80 to see if your rsync
> traffic is getting blocked in some way vs an http connection
>
> [tomasz at StayPuft:~]$ telnet rsync.macports.org 873
> Trying 17.254.17.246...
> Connected to rsync.macosforge.org .
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> --tomasz
>
> On Nov 15, 2007 11:47 PM, Evan Weaver <evan at cloudbur.st> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > Is the Rsync daemon down? I haven't been able to selfupdate for a
> > couple of days now:
> >
> > chloe:~ eweaver$ sudo port -v selfupdate
> > Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> > rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Connection refused (61)
> > rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
> > /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24.1/rsync/clientserver.c(94)
> > Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the ports
> > tree: sync failed doing rsync
> >
> > I can see rsync.macports.org in my browser (it says "it works"), and
> > disabling my firewall doesn't help.
> >
> > Thanks very much
> >
> > Evan
> >
> > --