fontconfig 2.4.2 compile woes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 22 15:42:40 PDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 10:27, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> On Sat Jan 27 20:16:11 PST 2007, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> However, we need to discover if there is a real problem with the
>> fontconfig 2.4.2 portfile, and if so, we need to fix it. Has anybody
>> else been able to successfully compile fontconfig 2.4.2 on Mac OS X
>> 10.3.9? Has anybody else experienced the same problems as Ed?
>
> I experienced the same problem as Ed when I wanted to upgrade
> fontconfig
> when port reported it as outdated:
>
> fontconfig                     2.4.2_0 < 2.4.2_1
>

> The package would fail to compile:
>
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_por
> ts_graphics_fontconfig/work/fontconfig-2.4.2" && make all "
> returned error 2
> Command output: fcaliastail.h:508:2: error: #endif without #if
> fcaliastail.h:510: error: only weak aliases are supported in this
> configuration
> [...]
> fcaliastail.h:543: error: only weak aliases are supported in this
> configuration
> fcaliastail.h:544:2: error: #endif without #if
> fcaliastail.h:545:2: error: #endif without #if
> make[3]: *** [fcatomic.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> I eventually tracked it down to a missing dependency on libxml2:
>
> horus:/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graph
> ics_fontconfig/work/fontconfig-2.4.2
> root# ./configure
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... no
> checking for nawk... no
> checking for awk... awk
> [...]
> checking expat.h usability... no
> checking expat.h presence... no
> checking for expat.h... no
> checking xmlparse.h usability... no
> checking xmlparse.h presence... no
> checking for xmlparse.h... no
> configure: WARNING: Cannot find usable expat library. Trying to use
> libxml2 as fallback.

[snip]

fontconfig declares a dependency on expat. I wonder why fontconfig
doesn't think this expat is usable? I assume you do have the expat
port installed. What happens if you forcibly uninstall and reinstall
expat? Is fontconfig able to use expat then?

sudo port -f uninstall expat
sudo port clean --work expat
sudo port install expat
sudo port -f uninstall fontconfig
sudo port clean --work fontconfig
sudo port -dv install fontconfig

If that still doesn't work, please show me the output of "port
contents expat" and "sudo port -dv install fontconfig"

Do you have MacPorts 1.5.20, and Mac OS X 10.3.9 with all Apple
software updates, and Xcode 1.5?