Gnucash - Help/Yelp

David Rowe david.rowe at freeuk.com
Fri Sep 21 04:02:41 PDT 2007

Many thanks to Peter McLain for his messages of 20 Sept ('Problem
installing Firefox-X11 with Gnucash' & 'parse error before 'GdkPixbuf'
when installing goffice 0.3.8').
GnuCash now installs & runs for me.

However, I still can't get GnuCash Help to work - in spite of Mike
Alexander's efforts  ('Re: GnuCash help pages' of 31 Aug).

If I select the menu Help>Tutorial and Concepts Guide, a message box
comes up reporting "GnuCash could not find the files for the help
documentation. This is likely because the 'gnucash-docs' package is not
installed". However 'port list installed' confirms that gnucash-docs is
installed:
gnucash                        @2.2.1          gnome/gnucash
gnucash-docs                   @2.0.1          gnome/gnucash-docs

If I invoke Yelp directly from the xterm command line (which should
bring up Yelp with a list of available manuals), then no window appears.
Instead, there is simply an error report:
$ yelp
Illegal instruction

with no further diagnostic information.

---------------

I have just now installed Gramps - which also uses Yelp for its help system.

Now if I invoke Yelp directly from the xterm command line it reports:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
(yelp:15680): Gnome-WARNING **: Accessibility: failed to find module
'libgail-gnome' which is needed to make this application accessible

(yelp:15680): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at
session startup.

(yelp:15680): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(yelp:15680): atk-bridge-WARNING **: Could not locate registry
Illegal instruction

If I invoke help from within Gramps, nothing happens.

Any ideas on how to refix Yelp?

Regards

David Rowe