Having a pretty rough time getting php5 installed

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Mon Aug 11 07:25:54 PDT 2008

On Aug 11, 2008, at 10:20 AM, Chris Janton wrote:

> On 2008-08-10 , at 17:50 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> The preferred location for my.cnf for MacPorts mysql5 is /opt/local/
>> etc/mysql5/my.cnf. Or it will read /etc/my.cnf if present.
>> Sample configuration files are provided in /opt/local/share/mysql5/
>> mysql which you can copy to create your own config.
>

> How is it "preferred" over any other location?

It's a question of style. If only Apple stores things in /etc/ then
Apple can't stomp on your install. If everything MacPorts related is
installed under /opt/, /opt/ can be blown-away without effecting other
non MacPorts install.

The idea is crisp clear lines of delineation to help one manage their
computer.

Thanks,

Ben