change gcc version ?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Dec 13 14:45:39 PST 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 14:52, Chris Jones wrote:

> I'm trying to compile some KDE4 packages from macports and am
> running into a problem with kdelibs4. After some googling I found
> various places which mention the error I am getting, and all
> suggest using gcc 4.2 instead of 4.0
>
> So, I want to try this, but cannot figure out how I am suppose to
> tell macports to use the newer gcc version (I have the latest Xcode
> instead, so have both versions available).
>
> Can someone point me to some instructions on how to change the gcc
> version that is used ?

You would add the line "configure.compiler gcc-4.2" to the kdelibs4
portfile.

gcc-4.2 is only provided in Xcode 3 and up, so this would only work
on Leopard and up.

Since you're likely not the only one experiencing whatever issue it
is, you should file an issue in our issue tracker explaining what the
problem is and suggesting this fix, if it works for you. Then the
maintainer of the port can evaluate it and hopefully include it in
the portfile so you and everyone else can benefit from it.