change gcc version ?

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Sat Dec 13 15:27:31 PST 2008

Hi,

On 13 Dec 2008, at 10:45PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2008, at 14:52, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to compile some KDE4 packages from macports and am
>> running into a problem with kdelibs4. After some googling I found
>> various places which mention the error I am getting, and all
>> suggest using gcc 4.2 instead of 4.0
>>
>> So, I want to try this, but cannot figure out how I am suppose to
>> tell macports to use the newer gcc version (I have the latest Xcode
>> instead, so have both versions available).
>>
>> Can someone point me to some instructions on how to change the gcc
>> version that is used ?
>
> You would add the line "configure.compiler gcc-4.2" to the kdelibs4
> portfile.

Thanks. Eventually I decoded the MacPorts documentation and figured
out I could also do it from the command line with

>   $ sudo port install <portname> configure.compiler=gcc-4.2

> gcc-4.2 is only provided in Xcode 3 and up, so this would only work
> on Leopard and up.

Yeah. One of the places I found the suggestion to use gcc 4.2 was the
kde-mac mailing list, and there this very point is also discussed.

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-mac/2008-November/000257.html

only a couple weeks old.

> Since you're likely not the only one experiencing whatever issue it
> is, you should file an issue in our issue tracker explaining what
> the problem is and suggesting this fix, if it works for you. Then
> the maintainer of the port can evaluate it and hopefully include it
> in the portfile so you and everyone else can benefit from it.

OK, I'm currently rebuilding with gcc 4.2 so I'll see what happens.
I'll post a ticket when that is done.

Chris