Tiger and X11 and kdelibs

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Wed Dec 17 06:53:59 PST 2008

Until a most recent upgrade of macports ports (after release of 1.7), I
had no trouble with X11.  However, I am now caught with this bug:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17558

One recommended workaround is to remove all macports xorg ports and
reinstall ports that have links to xorg libs, now using OS X X11 libs.
This is what I am trying to do.  Right now I am stuck at trying to
reinstall kde3.  kdelibs3 fails with:

checking for libXext... no
configure: error: We need a working libXext to proceed. Since configure
can't find it itself, we stop here assuming that make wouldn't find
them either.
kdelibs3-3.5.8-3 configure failed!

However, I do have libXext:

$ ls /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext*
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.4.dylib /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.a         /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.dylib

How can I resolve this?

Jonathan