R GUI

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Dec 17 07:04:01 PST 2008

Does Macports have a port for the GUI for R, the statistical computing
program? Is it in fact possible to have a Macport supplying a MacOsX GUI
(not necessarily R) that is invoked by double-clicking on an icon?

My inability to use the port search facility efficiently became evident on
this issue, since my search for the R-gui failed miserably. "port search R"
brings in every port with an r in its name. "man port" advertises that one
can use regular expressions in the search, but fails to point to a
particular set of regular expressions, ignoring the fact that there are many
"standard" collections of basic regular expressions, each likely to have a
different way of indicating word boundaries. I tried
port search "\<R\>" and also port search "\bR\b",
and was told there are no matches, even through "port info R works". Nor
could I figure out how to make the matching case-sensitive.

So, if anyone can give me a hint on port search regular expressions, that
would be helpful.
Thanks
David