Emacs and Leopard problems continue

Mark Evenson mark.evenson at gmx.at
Mon Feb 4 05:19:22 PST 2008

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> OK, I'll bite.  What specifically is wrong with the system emacs that
> requires folks to struggle so hard to build another copy?   It even
> supports carbon if you add an app wrapper (like the one I just attached
> - a mere 55k, and most of that is the icon), so I'm not sure what would
> lead one to struggle so hard to build emacs again.   Yes, the macports
> version should certainly work just on general principle, but that's not
> the question I'm asking.

I was going to reply that /usr/bin/emacs is only emacs-21, but then I
just noticed that Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard apparently ships with emacs-22.
  Still, having the latest stable Emacs is a plausible desire for users
still with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

A second plausible use case might be to use MacPorts for the packaging
of various Emacs-modes (SLIME, nxml-mode, haskell-mode, etc.), offering
an infrastructure for their timely updating.

--
<Mark.Evenson at gmx.at>

"[T]his is not a disentanglement from, but a progressive knotting into."