Emacs and Leopard problems continue

Mark Evenson mark.evenson at gmx.at
Mon Feb 4 07:12:11 PST 2008

Rob MacLeod wrote:
> I was not able to get the Leopard shipped version of emacs to fire up an
> X window.    All it would do was drive the terminal window (or X11
> xterm) from which I launched it.  This is not acceptable, of course.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard's /usr/bin/emacs is not linked to X11:  it will
only work within a Terminal.app, an xterm, or anything that supports a
termcap entry (you can verify this via "otool -L /usr/bin/emacs" which
shows that it is not linked against X11 libaries).

Personally, I like using the X11 version under OS X to give consistency
to my emacs experience across UNIX/Max OS X development.  And I never
really totally understand the need to "Carbonize" or "Aquaify" the port,
although Cut and Paste with the Mac OS X clipboard sometimes acts a
little wonky (tip:  use the Emacs menu item for Paste when CMD-v fails
to insert properly).  But maybe the cute Emacs icon has something to do
with it, like being able to switch via the OS X switcher (and the
'emacs-app' port icon is even better!)

 >I was able to download the generic emacs from the gnu site, apply the
 >patch that I got from the Macports edition of emacs, and then get it to
 >both build and work.  So why is the version on MacPorts still so lame?
 >Is there someone maintaining this package?

I have submitted a patch [1] to the current ticket within MacPorts Trac,
and am trying to get it promoted through to commit to the tree (I am a
maintainer for some MacPorts, although not editors/emacs, but do not
have commit rights.)

I agree that the response time on fixing this has been "lame", but
calling the port "lame" is a trifle over the top, don't you think?  Not
a great way to win friends and influence people. . .

[1]: http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13942

Some instructions for using my patch for those who are following from
the sidelines:

1. Pick a spot to build the port, like

     osx$ mkdir ~/ports

2. Copy the existing emacs build infrastructure over:

     osx$ cp -pr `port dir emacs` ~/ports

3. Replace the existing 'Portfile' with my [trivially patch][2]:

[2]:
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/attachment/ticket/13942/emacs-Portfile.diff

     osx$ cd ~/ports/emacs
     osx$ wget
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/attachment/ticket/13942/emacs-Portfile.diff
     osx$ patch -p0 < emacs-Portfile.diff

4. Add the [upstream emacs patch to the files directory][3]

[3]:
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/attachment/ticket/13942/patch-src-unexmacosx.c

     osx$ cd ~/ports/emacs/files
     osx$ wget
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/attachment/ticket/13942/patch-src-unexmacosx.c

5.  Build and install:

     osx$ cd ~/ports/emacs
     osx$ sudo port -D . install

When the official Portfile gets updated, this change will be
automatically overridden by a normal 'port upgrade outdated' procedure.

--
<Mark.Evenson at gmx.at>

"[T]his is not a disentanglement from, but a progressive knotting into."