MacPorts 1.6 still supports OS X 10.3 Panther?

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Fri Jan 4 18:12:49 PST 2008

Hi Chris,

[snip]

>>  10. At the command line, you should now find that, when run on any
>> portname (e.g. xmlcatmgr) the "port info <portname>" and "port install
>> <portname>" commands fail with
>>
>>      Error: Unable to open port: invalid command name "ui_channels"
>>
>>      However, you should find that "port search <portname>" works
>> fine.
>> (In general, it appears to me that the port commands that fail with
>> the above message are the ones for which the "port" command attempts
>> to open a Portfile.)
>
> Yes. That is exactly what I see now.
>
> Next steps?

Thank you so much for testing this.  Next steps, unfortunately, are in the
hands of the developers to try to work out why we're getting this error,
and then how to fix it.  If you think that you might be able to help with
figuring out what is going wrong in the core MacPorts code, that would be
great.  Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll have to sit tight until we can give
you a fix to test.  Of course, if you have any suggestions or questions,
or notice anything further, we'd be most happy to hear from you.

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful; my understanding of the core
MacPorts code just isn't good enough yet to be able to propose any
immediate fixes.  I hope that we can get this done for you as soon as we
can.

Once again, thank you for your help so far.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang