Checksum failure with ncbi-tools, then missing getfeat.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 21 11:25:08 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 09:15, Matt Scilipoti wrote:

> Thanks for providing a service like macports and going through the
> effort of creating ports.
>
> I hope you can help me.  I'm trying to install ncbi_tools, but I get a
> checksum error:
>
> % sudo port install ncbi_tools
> --->  Fetching ncbi_tools
> --->  Attempting to fetch ncbi.tar.gz from
> ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/toolbox/ncbi_tools/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ncbi_tools
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for ncbi.tar.gz
> Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
> checksums
>
> We managed to get the file, md5 it, update the local portfile, and
> start the install, only to find that getfeat is missing?
>
> % sudo port install ncbi_tools
> Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
> --->  Fetching ncbi_tools
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ncbi_tools
> --->  Extracting ncbi_tools
> --->  Configuring ncbi_tools
> --->  Building ncbi_tools
> --->  Staging ncbi_tools into destroot
> Error: Target org.macports.destroot returned: xinstall: Cannot stat:
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_scien
> ce_ncbi_tools/work/ncbi/bin/getfeat,
> No such file or directory
>
> Any ideas?

It sounds like the port will need to be updated. Please file a ticket
in our issue tracker for this problem, and be sure to enter the port
maintainer's email address in the Cc field when you do. "port info
ncbi_tools" tells you who that is.

http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets

> For future reference...
> A google search shows that the checksum error has occurred before.
> This is one of the reasons many libraries have started including
> version numbers in the file name.  This practice also ensures that
> prior versions of the libraries remain available.
>
> Thanks for attention in this matter.

That's great advice, but it would do more good if sent to the
developers of ncbi_tools, not to the MacPorts project, which is
merely at the developers' mercy.