New Wiki (Was: New Howto)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 10 23:32:17 PDT 2008

On Jun 11, 2008, at 01:15, Martin Krischik wrote:

>> I would say, if I had a vote (who does?), that whatever people are
>> willing
>> to use wins. It may not be elegant or state of the art, but the
>> best is the
>> enemy of the good, and good is usually good enough.
>
> I like to point out one more aspect: *If* we are going for a new Wiki
> we might as well replace the homepage as well. For a week or so there
> was consensus (as in: no one disagreed) that a link from the homepage
> to the HowTo would be helpful - yet it has not been done.
>
> Let me check .... No still not done.
>
> And we would not be the first project to go "all wiki":
>
> http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/
> http://uiq3.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> http://vimplugin.org/

The proposed new wiki was to be a global Mac OS Forge documentation
wiki, not a MacPorts-specific wiki. I'm still not a fan of the idea.
Do we really want to spend the time and energy converting content
from the MacPorts Trac wiki to a Mac OS Forge MediaWiki when we have
more important things we could be doing?