Maintainer away tracking

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 9 18:08:21 PDT 2008

Hi,

It happens from time to time that some maintainer is busy with work or
school, has to move, is on vacation or attends some other event which
prevents him from taking action on new tickets.

So I want to setup a new wiki page (like MaintainerAway) where anybody
can add himself with a small explanation how long he is going to be away
and maybe also why.

If someone adds himself onto this wiki page all of his/her ports will be
treated like if they have openmaintainer on them, so anybody can commit
updates without explicit permission. This should be taken like a
temporarily openmaintainer status. Or the maintainer could also add
someone else who should take care of his/her ports for this time.

The main advantage would be that the 72h delay does not have to pass as
the maintainer will not answer anyway.

The wiki page could look like this (with a proper table, of course):
maintainer1 at example.org | 2008-04-01 to 2008-04-10 | On vacation, please
                                                      ask foobar@
maintainer2 at example.org | 2008-03-14 to 2008-04-01 | Exams

Of course this would also need to be documented in our guide.

Any comments appreciated. Do you think this would be an improvement to
our infrastructure?

Rainer

PS: I am writing to both lists as I think this is also an interesting
topic for our users.