Maintainer away tracking

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Mar 17 06:37:14 PDT 2008

Rainer Müller wrote:
> It happens from time to time that some maintainer is busy with work or
> school, has to move, is on vacation or attends some other event which
> prevents him from taking action on new tickets.
>
> So I want to setup a new wiki page (like MaintainerAway) where anybody
> can add himself with a small explanation how long he is going to be away
> and maybe also why.
>
> If someone adds himself onto this wiki page all of his/her ports will be
> treated like if they have openmaintainer on them, so anybody can commit
> updates without explicit permission. This should be taken like a
> temporarily openmaintainer status. Or the maintainer could also add
> someone else who should take care of his/her ports for this time.
>
> The main advantage would be that the 72h delay does not have to pass as
> the maintainer will not answer anyway.

So, this proposal was out now for about a week and nobody replied. If
you don't like it, please tell me at least why you think it is not a
good idea.

Normally if I get no reply on a proposal, I would just take this as "no
objections". But this time it is important that you as developers and
maintainers are going to accept and use it. Therefore it would have been
nice to get some replies what you think about this topic.

Now it seems like nobody cares about it. Do you think we don't need this
at all? Do you think nobody would use it? Or do you have another better
solution?

Rainer