OpenSSH 5.1p1 vs. Leopard xServe

jms at jm-schomburg.com jms at jm-schomburg.com
Sat Sep 13 04:20:23 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I've recently installed the macports OpenSSH 5.1 into my Leopard
xServe. The point of my doing this was to take advantage of the latest
version's ability to chroot certain users to their home folders using
the new chrootDirectory command.

I installed the MacPorts OpenSSH as an administrator (not root). I am
able to log into the server, but when I login in verbose mode I see
that the initial connection uses OpenSSH version 4.7, and only after
verification it switches to v. 5.1.

Yet when I create another user (whose home folder is a simple reserved
directory, not a classic mac 'user' folder) he can log in, but he ends
up using OpenSSH version 4.7. The same thing happens if I attempt to
log in as root!

What do I have to tweak to get this working with Leopard Server?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

More on the subject here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1679925&tstart=0

Cheers.
jms at jm-schomburg.com
www.jm-schomburg.com