[SAMBA] Problem on AppleTV

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Sep 27 18:55:12 PDT 2008

On Sep 27, 2008, at 15:23, steve at wamu wrote:

> I have installed the Macports Samba3 package on my AppleTV (which
> runs a
> stripped down version of OSX 10.4.9), and it is not working (it
> worked fine
> on firmware 1.0 and 1.1... but now with firmware 2.1 it is no longer
> starting).
>
> I followed the instructions found
> http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Enable_SAMBA_server here .  I have
> posted my
> question to the the
> http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=727&p=11498#p11498
> AwkwardTV
> forum .  I would appreciate any suggestions and/or input you all
> might be
> able to provide.
>
> My next step is to go pop in my OSX 10.4 installer DVDs, open the
> install
> package up in Pacifist, grab the ktrace and kdump binaries and copy
> them
> over to my AppleTV so I can run a trace on the daemons (smbd and
> nmbd) when
> I try to start them up.  I try to start them with the following
> commands:
>
> -bash-2.05b$ /opt/local/sbin/smbd -c /opt/local/etc/samba3/smb.conf
> -bash-2.05b$ /opt/local/sbin/nmbd -c /opt/local/etc/samba3/smb.conf
>
> I believe that once they're started, they should show up when I run
>
> ps ax | grep smbd
> or
> ps ax | grep nmbd
>
> But no dice.

I've never set up Samba myself, never used the MacPorts samba3 port,
never used an AppleTV, certainly never tried to modify its software...

All I can suggest is to try installing samba3 with MacPorts on a
normal Mac. Does it work there? If no, then perhaps we can help;
otherwise the problem is unique to the AppleTV setup and you'd need
to gather more info.