Macports X11 damaged?

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 6 15:34:55 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 6:11 PM, ggrubbish at web.de wrote:

> I'm not able to install xorg-libX11 because it's already active (!):
> Code:
>
> $ > sudo port install xorg-libX11
> --->  Fetching xorg-libX11
> --->  Attempting to fetch libX11-1.2.tar.bz2 from
> http://www.x.org/pub/individual/lib/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for xorg-libX11
> --->  Extracting xorg-libX11
> --->  Configuring xorg-libX11
> --->  Building xorg-libX11
> --->  Staging xorg-libX11 into destroot
> --->  Installing xorg-libX11 @1.2_0
> --->  Activating xorg-libX11 @1.2_0
> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: Another
> version of this port (xorg-libX11 @1.2_0+system_x11) is already
> active.

Someone else can give you a more authoritative answer, but if you wish
you can try the following:
Do
port installed X*

This will give you a list of the "X" programs you installed.  At least
some of these will look like  this:
> xorg-libX11 @1.2_0+system_x11 (active)

See the "+system_x11" tag?  For each port (program) with a
"+system_x11" tag do this:
sudo port -d deactivate xprogram+system_x11
where xprogram  equals the name of the program.
then reinstall each of the programs leaving off the "+system_x11" tag,
for example
sudo port -d install xorg-libX11

good luck
William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.6 Darwin 9.5.0
XQuartz 2.3.3_rc4 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple40)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non