Case of port names?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 26 05:01:07 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 06:40, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 3:39 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> Use whatever case gives you the greatest pleasure, or rather, best
>> matches the project name. There was a problem in MacPorts < 1.7.0
>> when the case of the port name did not match the case the user
>> typed on the command line. Users usually typed port names in all
>> lowercase, so ports that used uppercase letters caused problems
>> for those users. But now that MacPorts 1.7.0 has fixed that issue,
>> there's no reason not to use uppercase letters. We have 187 ports
>> currently using uppercase letters in their names.
>
> Then to confirm this is correct, I use assp as the name of my port
> and ASSP as the distname?
> name			ASSP
> distname                assp

Here, you're showing ASSP as the name of the port and assp as the
distname.

> That did not seem to work for me, I had:
> name			ASSP
> version			1.4.3.1
> distname		ASSP_${version}-Install
>
> This would yield a bad download for me, it could not locate it. The
> download URL from sourceforge that works is:
> http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/assp/ASSP_1.4.3.1-Install.zip
>
> Where does ports get the first 'assp' in lowercase in that url?

That means you're downloading from the sourceforge fetch group? It by
default uses the port name as the sourceforge project name, if you
specify just:

master_sites sourceforge

This is equivalent to

master_sites sourceforge:${name}

If you want to change it to something else, you can:

master_sites sourceforge:sfprojectname