Liger: It's pretty much my favorite animal

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 19 18:49:34 PST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 20:05, Timothy Lee wrote:

> New to this list. I've been working on porting Musicbrainz Picard
> to the mac (dependencies fulfilled by MacPorts) over the past few
> weeks. While working through some of the issues, a few questions
> popped up:
>
> 1. I'm building on Leopard (i386) but was hoping to target Tiger.
> What (universal-ity aside) are the proper steps to compile
> everything on my Leopard install for Tiger? Is it simply setting
> universal_target to 10.4 in my macports.conf ? Or are there other
> variables that need to be set? What packages do I need to have
> installed (the 10.4 SDK) ?
>
> 2. For building a Tiger Macports on my Leopard, should I simply
> download the 10.4 package installer and life will be fine?

Welcome to MacPorts!

You could try setting universal_sdkroot to the 10.4u SDK,
universal_target to 10.4 and x11prefix to /usr/X11R6. However,
building on Leopard for Tiger, or any other such cross-compilation,
is ill-tested in MacPorts and not supported. To truly test this, use
a real Tiger machine. If you don't have one, perhaps someone else who
does can test it for you.