Difference between uninstalled and deactivated ?

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Fri Jan 23 11:45:31 PST 2009

Hi,

I've just noticed something the perhaps someone can explain to me.
Whenever I run 'sudo port upgrade outpdated', and a port gets
upgraded, the old port is first deactivated before the new one is
installed and activated. But the old port is never uninstalled ? What
does this mean ? Does it mean over time my system will slowly fill up
with old unused versions of ports ?

  For instance for perl at the moment I have

localhost ~ > sudo port installed | grep perl
Password:
   perl5 @5.8.8_1
   perl5 @5.8.8_2
   perl5 @5.8.9_0 (active)
   perl5.8 @5.8.8_3+darwin_9
   perl5.8 @5.8.9_0
   perl5.8 @5.8.9_1
   perl5.8 @5.8.9_2 (active)

Should I worry about uninstalling the _0 and _1 ports ? If so, is
there some way I can get this done automatically while upgrading ?

Sorry for the newbie questions ..

Chris