gnutls-devel?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 2 11:33:43 PDT 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 09:55, Jeff Simmons wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 June 2009 02:59, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Perhaps they have never tried to compile on a Mac before.
>>>
>>> Which part of OpenVAS are you interested in? There seem to be
>>> several parts. I was able to create a MacPorts port for openvas-
>>> client without difficulty and could commit it for you if that's the
>>> part you wanted. I'm having more difficulty with openvas-libraries
>>> though, which are required for openvas-server. I will try to report
>>> the problems I encountered to the developers of OpenVAS.
>>
>> I was able to build ports for openvas-client, openvas-libnasl,
>> openvas-libraries and openvas-server. They build for me on Mac OS X
>> 10.4 Intel. I just committed them so they should be available to you
>> within the hour. I didn't test them, except to verify that openvas-
>> client opens, because I don't know the software.
>>
>> Is this what you need? Can you try these ports and let me know if
>> they work for you?
>
> openvas-libraries, openvas-libnasl, and openvas-server all build fine.
> openvas-client stops here:
>
> --->  Attempting to fetch tiff-3.8.2.tar.gz from
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for tiff
> --->  Extracting tiff
> On Mac OS X 10.5, tiff 3.8.2 requires Xcode 3.1 or later but you have
> Xcode 3.0.

Read the above message again. :)

You can get Xcode 3.1 here:

http://developer.apple.com/technology/xcode.html

> Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: incompatible Xcode
> version
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gtk2 tiff xorg-
> libXcomposite xorg-compositeproto xorg-libXext xorg-libXfixes xorg-
> fixesproto xorg-libXcursor xorg-libXdamage xorg-damageproto xorg-libXi
> xorg-libXinerama xorg-xineramaproto xorg-libXrandr xorg-randrproto
>
> There's another package, openvas-plugins, that contains the actual
> vulnerability tests. It shouldn't be necessary to the port, since
> openvas has
> an update-plugins script that fetches them via rsync, but I haven't
> tested it
> on an empty plugins installation yet.

I forgot about plugins. I'll see if I can make a port for them too.

> BTW many thanks. It's pretty incredible (to me anyway) that you
> would put a
> port like this together so quickly.

You're welcome, I hope it works for you. As you've found, compiling
software with dependencies by hand can get hairy, and that's the
whole reason we have MacPorts: so only one person has to figure out
how to compile a given program for Mac OS X, and then encode that
knowledge into a portfile. Some of the openvas parts needed a little
help compiling on Mac OS X or within MacPorts and I will send those
patches back to the developers shortly.