gnutls-devel?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 2 15:22:24 PDT 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 16:48, Jeff Simmons wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 June 2009 11:33, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> On Mac OS X 10.5, tiff 3.8.2 requires Xcode 3.1 or later but you
>>> have
>>> Xcode 3.0.
>>
>> Read the above message again. :)
>>
>> You can get Xcode 3.1 here:
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/technology/xcode.html
>
> Yeah, I know. Just wanted to let you know, since I'm using a fairly
> new Mac,
> and loaded Xcode straight from the CD. And 3.1 does take a while to
> download.

Xcode 3.0 had some bugs, which have fortunately been fixed in 3.1. So
it's not an effective use of our time to engineer workarounds for
Xcode 3.0 bugs when you could just install Xcode 3.1 and not
experience the bugs anymore. Therefore I added that message to the
tiff port to prevent you from running into the Xcode 3.0 problem and
advise you of how to solve it. :) There are several ports now which
either emit the same message, or will fail if you try to build them
with Xcode 3.0. Therefore you would make your life easier by
installing the latest Xcode.

> And as long as I'm taking advantage of you ...
>
> There's a message that comes up somewhere during the compile
> process that
> openvas works much better with about 100 bpf devices (Berkeley
> Packet Filter,
> /dev/bpf*). There's four in there now, do you know if it's safe for
> me to
> just create 96 more using mknod? Or even better, is there the
> equivalent of
> the bsd MAKEDEV script hiding somewhere I haven't been able to find
> it?

I did see that message but I don't know anything about Berkeley
Packet Filter devices or creating nodes. You might try asking the
developers of openvas if they have further advice, since they at
least know something about that feature since they wrote their
software to use it.