Problem installing KDE/Amarok

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 25 20:49:11 PDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 22:38, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2009, at 6:02 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jun 24, 2009, at 16:47, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>>
>>> I figured they'd be lost if I had to kill the terminal.  Of
>>> course, I'm not 100% sure that this is the issue.  For all I
>>> know, the process could have been okay and it could be something
>>> else that crashed it.  (Come to think of it, there was an ssh
>>> connection, but it's a program I'm always running in the b.g.)  I
>>> figure in worst case, since it's the first thing I'm installing,
>>> I could wipe out any KDE directory in Applications and just wipe
>>> all of /opt, reinstall MacPorts and restart.
>>>
>>> Is there any place else KDE would store files that I'd have to
>>> clear out if I do that?

>>> I was also going to see if I could find a list somewhere of all
>>> the messages from KDE.  It looks like each package is giving me
>>> the same message at the start and the end.
>>>
>>> I'll most likely wipe out /opt and just start clean, since I
>>> don't have any other packages done with MacPorts yet.  I don't
>>> mind letting it rebuild qt overnight.
>>
>> If you want to do that, you should follow the uninstall
>> instructions shown here:
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts
>
> As noted elsewhere, I went on with the install and eventually
> (after fixing the svn issue - thanks, Ryan!), I'm dealing with a
> problem I think is related to this issue.  After it was all
> installed properly, I ran the following commands:
>
> sudo chown -R $USER ~/Library/Preferences/KDE
> open /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/kdeinit4.app
>
> launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-
> session.plist
>
> The first two were the instructions given at the start of most
> packages as they were installed and the last one was given at the
> end.  When I ran the last one, I got this:
>
> nothing found to load
>
> I suspect that when my terminal locked up previously, there were
> some messages on what to run that I didn't get to see.  Is there a
> resource somewhere that would give me an output of that install
> command or a list of command lines I have to run after KDE is
> installed?
>
> Also, would I have to run the last 2 commands each time my iMac
> boots or is it like some Linux systems -- that once a service is
> running, it restarts on boot until a user stops it?

I'll let someone else answer what is required to get KDE to run. I
don't know.

"chown" would permanently set the ownership; it won't get unset.

"open" is the same as double-clicking something in the Finder.

"launchctl load -w" loads a service and tells it to launch at every
system startup. "launchctl unload -w" unloads a service and tells it
not to load at every system startup. If you don't use the "-w"
option, then the service is started or stopped, but nothing is
changed about what happens at system startup.