Spim Install Failure

David P. Henderson dp.chaoswerks at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 19:44:36 PST 2009

On 01 Mar 2009, at 15:37, Scott Haneda wrote:

> I could be way wrong on this one, but this seems to  be an issue
> that is being discussed in a few others threads.

Thanks. I didn't do more than a cursory search of the archives since
I couldn't find any way to search them other than reading thru every
article posted over the last few months and google was of no help.

> If you look at the error, it is not finding a html doc page, and
> failing on installing that, thereby failing the activation.
>
> I believe, you could use the -f flag to force it on install, `port -
> df install spim`, or, since you already have it close to installed,
> you can try `port -df activate spim` though you will still be
> missing that one doc page.
>
> Please report back to let us know.

Scott, thanks for the feedback but I did try to force install it to
no avail. I have however done some more investigating and it seems
that the source I'm pulling is newer than the portfile. Perhaps that
is the cause of the problem.

[503:3] $ sudo port distcheck spim
Warning: port spim: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~larus/SPIM/spim.tar.gz
is newer than portfile
Warning: couldn't fetch http://trd.no.distfiles.macports.org/spim/7.4/
spim.tar.gz for spim (HTTP response code said error)
Warning: couldn't fetch http://arn.se.distfiles.macports.org/spim/7.4/
spim.tar.gz for spim (couldn't connect to server)
Warning: couldn't fetch http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/
distfiles/spim/spim.tar.gz for spim (HTTP response code said error)
Warning: couldn't fetch http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/
distfiles/general/spim.tar.gz for spim (HTTP response code said error)
Warning: couldn't fetch http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/
downloads/spim/spim.tar.gz for spim (HTTP response code said error)

Also in examining the build directory under macports, the missing
file does appear to be in the Documentation directory.

[508:8] $ sudo ls -l /opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_emulato
rs_spim/work/spim-7.4/
total 160
drwx------   33 root  admin   1122 Jan  1 11:51 CPU
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin  67900 Jan  1 11:51 ChangeLog
drwx------    9 root  admin    306 Feb 28 22:01 Documentation
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin   4286 Jan  1 11:51 README
drwx------   11 root  admin    374 Feb 28 22:00 Tests
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin     31 Jan  1 11:51 VERSION
drwx------   23 root  admin    782 Mar  1 19:23 spim
drwx------   32 root  admin   1088 Feb 28 22:01 xspim
[509:9] $ sudo ls -l /opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_emulato
rs_spim/work/spim-7.4/Documentation/
total 128
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin   2637 Jan  1 11:51 BLURB
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin  29479 Jan  1 11:51 SPIM.html
drwx------   13 root  admin    442 Jan  1 11:51 TeX
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin   4770 Jan  1 11:51 spim.man
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin   6917 Feb 28 22:01 xspim.1.html
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root  admin      9 Feb 28 22:01 xspim._man -> xspim.man
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin   5077 Jan  1 11:51 xspim.man

The "missing" file definitely looks to be there. I'm not familiar
enough with how macports does its job to do much more troubleshooting
without some guidance.

Thanks again for any help

Dave

deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult." -- C. A. R.
"Tony" Hoare