Announcing: port_upgrade

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sat May 9 16:44:16 PDT 2009

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 04:28:46PM -0700, Scott C. Kennedy said:
> Well, for me, when I used to do that, I would lose all my variants.

'port upgrade' is supposed to keep all variants intact, though there is/was
a definte bug with it, fixed on trunk:

<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/8221>

If that's the thing you've run into, 1.8 should be fine then.  If it is
something else have you filed a ticket?

> Plus, when a dependency for a package changed significantly, then the
> program would terminate or act unexpectedly. For me, a longer compile
> time when updating packages to ensure that all my packages are linked to
> the most recent version of all of their dependencies is a good
> investment of time.

'port upgrade' when new dependencies are added should simply install those
ports, what is the problem you've seen, is there a ticket?

Bryan