Installation/port-upgrade problems

Darren Temple d.temple06 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Nov 9 07:10:56 PST 2009

Hello macports-users,

I've been trying to install and start using macports recently, for the
intention of installing KDE for use of the Kate and Kile programs, but
keep running into problems. I had OS X 10.5.8 installed initially, with
the most recent release of X11 but not the most recent XCode tools,
which requires Snow Leopard. I managed to install macports with this
setup, but found a problem when I came to use it which issued a message
about XCode tools needing updating. Seeing as I was expecting to upgrade
to Snow Leopard soon, I thought I'd do this first before trying macports
again. My system is now as follows :-

- Snow Leopard (updated to version 10.6.1)
- XCode tools 3.2.1
- X11 2.3.4

I have installed Macports using the "easy" disk-image/package method,
which seemed to be successful. I next ran the command "sudo port
selfupdate" which seemed to work fine, but then running "port upgrade
outdated" I get the following :-

*****

Macintosh:~ Ren$ port upgrade outdated
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Computing dependencies for openssl
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete
certain actions (eg install).
--->  Building openssl
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/Users/Ren/.macports/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_openssl/work/openssl-0.9.8l"
&& /usr/bin/make all " returned error 2
Command output: ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib, file is not
of required architecture
Undefined symbols:
  "_inflateEnd", referenced from:
      _bio_zlib_free in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
      _zlib_stateful_free_ex_data in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
  "_deflate", referenced from:
      _bio_zlib_ctrl in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
      _bio_zlib_write in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
      _zlib_stateful_compress_block in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
  "_deflateEnd", referenced from:
      _bio_zlib_free in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
      _zlib_stateful_free_ex_data in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
  "_inflateInit_", referenced from:
      _bio_zlib_read in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
      _zlib_stateful_init in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
  "_zError", referenced from:
      _bio_zlib_ctrl in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
      _bio_zlib_read in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
      _bio_zlib_write in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
  "_deflateInit_", referenced from:
      _bio_zlib_write in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
      _zlib_stateful_init in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
  "_inflate", referenced from:
      _bio_zlib_read in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
      _zlib_stateful_expand_block in libcrypto.a(c_zlib.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [link_a.darwin] Error 1
make[1]: *** [do_darwin-shared] Error 2
make: *** [libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib] Error 2

Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1

*****

Following this, I tried installing the "kdebase4" port, just to see if
macports would work regardless of this last message. Here is the result
of this action :-

*****

Macintosh:~ Ren$ sudo port install kdebase4
Password:
Warning: Skipping upgrade since ncursesw 5.7_0 >= ncursesw 5.7_0, even
though installed variants "" do not match "+darwin_10". Use 'upgrade
--enforce-variants' to switch to the requested variants.
Warning: Skipping upgrade since ncurses 5.7_0 >= ncurses 5.7_0, even
[...]

Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade cmake failed

*****

Hopefully someone has some advice about what to do here. I've looked
through a lot of online help information but haven't found anything
which seems to address this problem. Please bear in mind I am not a
fluent command-line/UNIX user, and am still very much feeling my way
around. Any help would be much appreciated, including help on how to
understand what the problem is and what the error messages mean, not
just how to solve it, for the benefit of my education!

Regards,
Darren