Upgrading to PHP 5.3.1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 25 15:41:34 PST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 14:23, Tom Boutell wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 25, 2009, at 13:49, Tom Boutell wrote:
>>
>>> How do I upgrade to 5.3.1?
>>
>> You first need to
>>
>> "sudo port selfupdate"
>>

> Thanks. My 'sudo port selfupgrade' did almost nothing because I did
> that last week.

But one of the things it did do is update your php5 portfile to 5.3.1. I committed that update only 4 days ago.

>> Then you can
>>
>> "sudo port upgrade outdated"
>
> 'sudo port upgrade outdated' did plenty of things and
> I expect it will succeed in upgrading PHP by the time it's done.
>
> So does 'port upgrade installed' ever make sense?

I suppose it has basically the same effect as "port upgrade outdated", except that MacPorts has to traverse the list of all ports twice with "upgrade installed" instead of just once with "upgrade outdated". So your way works but is slower.

> Isn't 'upgrade outdated' a bit of a redundant phrase?

MacPorts commands take the form

port <verb> <ports>

So the verb is "upgrade" and the list of ports is "the outdated ones". You could also tell it to upgrade only specific ports:

port upgrade php5

or all but specific ports:

port upgrade outdated and not ImageMagick