file: -lgdk-quartz-2.0 is not an object file (not allowed in a library)

Wolf Drechsel drechsel at verkehrsplanung.com
Sun Nov 29 10:06:27 PST 2009

Hello,

thanks for the reply, Ryan guessed exactly what I did.

I'm trying to build inkscape, and there is (or more: is going to be)
a X11 and a aqua/quartz version of it. So I need a set of both
variants - which have to be activated / deactivated, depending
whether I have to compile X11 or quartz/aqua. I didnt see that there
was a +quartz variant of gtk2 on my machine - so deactivating it and
than compiling gtk2 did the job.

Now I'm running into a similar problem: Installing libgnomeprintui
leads to:

/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: can't locate
file for: -lgtk-quartz-2.0
/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: file: -lgtk-
quartz-2.0 is not an object file (not allowed in a library)
/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: can't locate
file for: -lgdk-quartz-2.0
/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: file: -lgdk-
quartz-2.0 is not an object file (not allowed in a library)

Now I should know where is another +quartz variant still active - but
in fact I dont. When I'm listing the installed ports, there are no
active +quartz variants left.

How can I know which package contains the -lgdk-quartz-2.0 - in order
to deactivate it and install the x11 variant instead?

Thanks and greetings,

Wolf

>> I tried to install poppler and libglade2 -  in both cases I get:
>>
>> Undefined symbols:
>> _cairo_quartz_surface_create_for_cg_context referenced from libgdk-
>> quartz-2 expected to be defined in libcairo
>>
>> I can install the poppler +quartz variant, I deactivated the cairo
>> +quartz variant before:
>>
>> sudo port installed cairo
>> Password:
>> The following ports are currently installed:
>>  cairo @1.8.8_0+macosx (active)
>>  cairo @1.8.8_0+macosx+no_x11+quartz
>>
>> Some hints would be appreciated.
>
> If you build anything with the quartz variant, you should probably
> build everything with the quartz variant, and vice versa.
>
> It looks like you originally built gtk2 with the quartz variant,
> but have now deactivated the cairo with the quartz variant and
> activated the cairo without the quartz variant. Therefore the
> quartz symbols gtk2 expects to be there now aren't. Reactivate the
> cairo with the quartz variant. Or, rebuild everything without the
> quartz variant if you've decided you don't want it anymore.

+ Wolf Drechsel
+ Köhnstr. 54
+ D - 90478 Nürnberg
+ Tel.: 0911 / 4 71 98 49