libsm compile problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 12 17:48:43 PDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 13:02, Payam Minoofar wrote:

> In the process of upgrading wine-devel, I keep encountering
> architecture mismatch errors.

You should encounter these errors on initial installation, but not on
upgrade -- unless perhaps you upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard
and have not uninstalled and reinstalled all ports as per the
Migration instructions?

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration

> I cannot get port to upgrade
> dependencies to universal builds with
> sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants wine-devel
> or with
> sudo port install wine-devel +universal

Did you try

sudo port upgrade --enforce-variants wine-devel +universal

? The point of --enforce-variants is to enforce the variants you
specify on the command line (or in variants.conf) but you didn't
specify any variants on the command line.

> In the process of manually upgrading all the ports that need to be
> compiled as universal, I encountered this problem with libsm. I hope
> the solution is simple.

[snip]

> --->  Building xorg-libsm
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/
> local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg
> -libsm/work/libSM-1.1.1" && /usr/bin/make -j2 all " returned error 2
> Command output:       _SmcOpenConnection in sm_client.o
[snip]
>       _SmsReturnProperties in sm_manager.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found

This is probably again an architecture mismatch. You're not seeing the
first error because MacPorts only shows the last 30 lines of error,
but if you reinstall with the -d switch (sudo port -d install
whatever) and examine the output more closely you should find a line
about architectures being missing from some library (some dependency
of xorg-libsm) and you must reinstall that port universal.

Before you can install wine-devel on Snow Leopard, I'm afraid ALL
library and runtime dependencies of wine-devel will need to be built
universal (or for i386 only, but that's probably not a good idea).