Bad CPU type in executable

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 28 19:29:09 PDT 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 19:18, Dennis C wrote:

> The only other thing I can think of is that I tried and failed
> installing from source a program called "Qtstalker" and so maybe
> that did "who knows what..."  Sorry I forgot to mention it, but
> thought the error message could be obvious enough anyway...  Thanks
> for your help though and maybe I'll just have to reinstall everything

Before you do, if you can provide the information I requested earlier
about the architectures your installed software has, maybe that will
clue us in about what happened. Try using both "lipo -info /opt/local/
bin/perl" and "file /opt/local/bin/perl" to try to find out why your
perl is not satisfactory to your Mac.

> and hope that Qtstalker or something similar shows up in MacPorts
> soon because that's what's still keeping me tied to a PC, using that
> software to manage some market trading...

You could file a port request ticket in the issue tracker. I looked
into qtstalker briefly just now, and didn't get very far, because it
requires qt3 (is not compatible with qt4), whereas qt3 is not
compatible with Snow Leopard (see #21459). Then again, I can't get the
current qt4 to build on Snow Leopard either; there are tickets for
this as well. Qt is an unimaginably huge piece of library, which
probably means it has a bazillion things that could go wrong. To get
qtstalker in MacPorts, you should either work with the authors of qt
to get qt3 working properly on Snow Leopard, or work with the authors
of qtstalker to get it working with qt4 and work with the authors of
qt to get qt4 working properly in MacPorts. In the mean time, someone
who still uses Leopard could work on the portfile. (I don't have
Leopard with me at the moment.)