[Bulk] Re: old CLI options removed (was: Re: Two errors compiling wine-devel)

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 2 23:03:36 PDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:52 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2009, at 20:15, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> On 2009-9-3 10:54, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>>

>>> For each port that is a dependency of wine, e.g. freetype:
>>>
>>> sudo port upgrade --force freetype +universal
>>>
>>> (I think this is the new correct syntax for 1.8.0.)
>>
>> I'd use --enforce-variants rather than --force to avoid rebuilding
>> anything that happens to be universal already.
>
> I guess I don't fully understand what these new options do. Could
> you provide a mapping from the old knowledge we already have of how
> MacPorts 1.7.1 worked to how these new 1.8.0 options fit in?
>
> I must also say I'm unhappy that existing command line mechanisms
> were removed from MacPorts entirely in 1.8.0, rather than for
> example being marked as deprecated and/or printing a warning. I have
> for some time been using "port -ux upgrade" to upgrade ports,
> because I wanted MacPorts to stop on errors, which is what "-x" did.
> We decided the functionality of "-x" was so useful it should be the
> default in 1.8.0. But now when I "port -ux upgrade" I'm just shown
> the usage message (which even still lists the removed "-x" as a
> valid option -- a bug I have already fixed on trunk). It would have
> been better to keep "-x" for a few versions and make it a no-op (or
> make it print a warning) rather than make it fail.
>
> Similarly for rebuilding. I have been using "port -nf upgrade" for
> years to force a rebuild of a port. Now it doesn't do that anymore,
> and you closed my ticket [1] saying it behaves correctly. If there
> is new syntax we prefer now for forcing rebuilds, fine, but it would
> have been nice if MacPorts would have continued to honor the
> commands it has up until 1.8.0 required in order to perform this
> function. There are a few ports (graphviz, graphviz-devel, py26-
> scipy, pure, pure-devel, and webdot) that print messages for the
> user advising them to use "port -nf upgrade" to rebuild something;
> now those instructions are inaccurate.
>
> [1] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20931

I agree with that, Ryan.  When I did
sudo port -dup upgrade --force installed
I did not get debug output, and port stopped on an error instead of
continuing......

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X ver 10.6 Darwin 10.6
XQuartz 2.3.4 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple45)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non