gnumeric will not install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 15 13:19:50 PDT 2010

On Apr 15, 2010, at 14:07, reiser.paul at gmail.com wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM, Lenore Horner wrote:
>
>> On Apr 15, 2010, at 9:26 AM, reiser.paul at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ryan - Yes, the gnumeric 1.10.1 folder was from the previous installment. I have put that in the trash. I'm assuming that the MacPorts installation process created something like a gnumeric 1.8.4 folder somewhere, but I cannot seem to find it, in order to complete the installation (./configure, etc). After the "sudo port -d install gnumeric command", what would be my next step?
>>
>> Unless you got some output indicating that install didn't work, you now have gnumeric available.  You should be able to start it by typing gnumeric at the prompt.
>
> Ah - ok, that works! I was used to going thru the ./configure... stuff, then double-clicking on a gnumeric file, as in version 10. Thanks Lenore.

That's one of the primary things MacPorts does for you -- running ./configure, make and make install, with the correct arguments. The reason you use MacPorts to install software is to avoid having to do that kind of thing by hand.

Lenore already pointed out specifically how to start gnumeric, but more generally, if you didn't know how to run something installed via MacPorts, you would use e.g. "port contents gnumeric" to see everything the gnumeric port installed. If this is a command-line program, you would look through that output for something installed in /opt/local/bin. If this is an Aqua GUI program (i.e. a normal Mac OS X program that you double-click), you would look for something installed in /Applications/MacPorts. If this is an X11 GUI program, the port might have installed it in either or both of those places (depending on the port).