Previously requested variants removed when upgrading with --enforce-variants (was: Re: Odd upgrade behavior)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 1 10:49:26 PDT 2010

On Aug 1, 2010, at 12:09, Arno Hautala wrote:

> Is this the expected behavior for "port upgrade --enforce-variants outdated"?
>
> --->  Computing dependencies for dblatex
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: ImageMagick
> --->  Staging ImageMagick into destroot
> --->  Packaging tbz2 archive for ImageMagick 6.6.3-0_0+q16+universal
> --->  Installing ImageMagick @6.6.3-0_0+q16+universal
> --->  Deactivating ImageMagick @6.6.3-0_0+gs+mpeg+perl+q16
> --->  Cleaning ImageMagick
> --->  Activating ImageMagick @6.6.3-0_0+q16+universal
> --->  Cleaning ImageMagick
> --->  Fetching archive for dblatex

I think it's probably normal that MacPorts has rebuilt ImageMagick with the +universal variant; you asked for variants to be enforced, and probably one of your outdated ports that depends in some way on ImageMagick was installed +universal.

What I agree is not desirable is that in addition to adding the +universal variant to ImageMagick, MacPorts also removed all your other variants from it. That's probably not what we want to happen. I haven't looked through the enforce variants code yet...