ProFTPD | Add group and user FTP

Jasper Frumau jasperfrumau at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 08:06:37 PST 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Jasper Frumau <jasperfrumau at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Glenn English <ghe at slsware.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 7, 2010, at 7:44 AM, Jasper Frumau wrote:
>>
>> > I just added ProFTPD and I am adjusting the ProFTPD configuration file.
>> I need to add ftp user and group. I went to system preferences > accounts
>> and added group ftp. When I wanted to add user ftp it said the name was
>> already reserved. I decided to abort and remove newly created group fpt.. So
>> I guess a user ftp is already there.
>>
>> My understanding is that users 'ftp' and 'anonymous' are reserved for
>> anonymous FTP, and are therefore disallowed for real users.
>

> I see.
>

>> They aren't real in that they aren't in the passwd file, but there is a
>> /home/ftp directory,
>

> There is now home/ftp directory on my Mac. I have:
>
> $ pwd
> /opt/local/bin
> $ ls | grep ftp
> ftpcount
> ftpdctl
> ftptop
> ftpwho
>
> Found those with hints in man proftpd
>

>> created by the FTP server (I don't do anon FTP myself).
>>

> I guess U could turn that off (comment it out) too. I just use this local
> FTP server to run some OS CMS locally for testing
>

>> > How can I check this from the command line?
>>
>> 'cat /etc/passwd' -- the user names are the first thing in the lines.
>> That's how it works on other unices, anyway. OS X seems to have put my
>> username somewhere else; there are lots of names there, but I'm not in that
>> list.
>

> Mine isn't either

When I checked /etc/passwd one more time I read:

 cat /etc/passwd
##
# User Database
#
# Note that this file is consulted directly only when the system is running
# in single-user mode.  At other times this information is provided by
# Open Directory.
#
# This file will not be consulted for authentication unless the BSD local
node
# is enabled via /Applications/Utilities/Directory Utility.app
#
# See the DirectoryService(8) man page for additional information about
# Open Directory.

I cannot find an app Directory Utility in my Snow Leopard apps though. I am
reading more about Open Directory and Mac now...