Problems installing libxml2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 15 16:46:32 PST 2010

On Feb 15, 2010, at 03:41, Gregorio Pellegrino wrote:

> I'm new to this list. Yesterday I was installing Navit (on MacOs 10.6.2) following this (http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/NavIt_on_MacOS) guide.
>
> So I installed MacPort, and then ran the comand:
> sudo port install automake wget gpsd gtk2 glib2 libtool
>
> It installed a lot of programs, but when it tried to download libxml2, it doesn't end the download (6 hours!).

That's unusual; MacPorts should time out within minutes when it encounters a mirror that doesn't work. I'm not sure why this failed for you.

> It was late night so I switched off the computer and went to sleep.
>
> This morning I tried to run the comand:
> sudo port install automake wget gpsd gtk2 glib2 libtool
>
> But it doesn't install libxml2, the output is:
> --->  Computing dependencies for automake
> --->  Cleaning automake
> --->  Computing dependencies for wget
> --->  Cleaning wget
> --->  Computing dependencies for gpsd
> --->  Cleaning gpsd
> --->  Computing dependencies for gtk2
> Waiting for lock on /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_textproc_libxml2/work/.macports.libxml2.state

MacPorts thinks another MacPorts process is working on libxml2. You say you switched off your computer last night while it was working on downloading libxml2, so apparently it didn't clean up after itself. Try cleaning it manually, then try again:

sudo port clean libxml2