Failed zlib check...

dreamcat four dreamcat4 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:36:38 PST 2010

Hi,

I tried installing some new software today which required a `port upgrade curl`.
After a `port selfupdate`, then upgrading Curl failed with:

--->  Computing dependencies for curl
--->  Configuring curl
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: lipo: can't open input
file: /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib (No such file or directory)
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
Before reporting a bug, first run the command again with the -d flag
to get complete output.

It seems that zlib (port install zlib) had not installed its library
as a dylib, but there was a static lib there "zlib.a",

Just either fix or disable the zlib check:
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/net/curl/Portfile:
- archcheck.files         lib/libz.dylib
+# archcheck.files         lib/libz.dylib

And that seemed to be it. The new version seems will install fine after that.

The thing is...
I also did a search on the ports tree for "zlib.dylib".
There seems like about ~1 dozen Portfiles.

Should my system have zlib.a or zlib.dylib ?
`port upgrade -d zlib` changes nothing and returns 0.

Should there be both ".dylib" and ".a" files or just one of the other?
Or for sure one file and optionally (dont care about) the other?

dreamcat4
dreamcat4 at gmail.com