zlib extensions disabled

Peter Oakley peteo at oakleystudio.com
Thu Jan 7 10:06:38 PST 2010

I'm looking for some help with Wordpress auto-updating, which
apparently uses gzip compression.  I am using php5 @5.3.0_1+apache
+macosx+mysql5, and I have zlib @1.2.3_3 installed and active. In the
"Phar" section of my phpinfo, I see the line for "gzip compression:
disabled (install ext/zlib)". I tried making sure zlib is enabled in
my php.ini file, but the documentation is not helpful. Can anyone
give me some guidance regarding how to enable zlib for gzip compression?

FYI, the error I am getting when I try to do the Wordpress auto-
update is: "Abort class-pclzip.php : Missing zlib extensions".
Perhaps someone on this email list has already encountered and solved
this problem?

- Peter Oakley, webmaster
   Oakley Studio, LLC - Web Sites and Web Strategic Planning
   Distinctive Web Design, Professional Email Services,
   Secure Ecommerce for Small Business
   Web: http://www.oakleystudio.com
   Email: peteo at oakleystudio.com
   Phone: 574-707-0194