A word on Trac ticket submissions...

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 13:46:04 PDT 2010

Yeah ... its why there is a heavily used acronym called RTFM. Because nobody
ever does read the manual.

Besides ... reading, remembering, and knowing the correct way are completely
different.

Humans are not computers and thus do not retain everything we read all of
the time for ever.  I doubt you do either.  So claiming that there is a big
red banner only says there is an existing guide explaining some stuff.  But
the form boxes we have to fill out should also be clear as to what is
expected, and maybe even bolded to show it is mandatory.

I do not have time to read a manual every single time I enter a bug.  And
simply have way too much on my plate to try and cram one extremely trivial
piece of information on there.  Oh .. I never have this conversation with
other bug sites...probably because the bug form itself contains enough
information that reading a manual is not required.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2010, at 15:14, Scott Webster wrote:
>
> > I think this is likely the most common "mistake" people make when
> > submitting tickets (failing to cc the maintainer).  Perhaps we can add
> > a little comment next to the cc box that reminds people to do so and
> > tells them how to find the maintainer address.  I'll try to take a
> > look at the form and see if I can figure out if this or any other
> > trivial changes would work.
>
> We already have a big red banner reading "Please read the Ticket Guidelines
> before submitting" at the top of the New Ticket form which explains about
> Cc'ing the maintainer and everything else we want submitters to do... But
> they don't read it...

Your HTML signature here