python setuptools/distribute in macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 29 14:43:59 PDT 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 16:44, Alan Franzoni wrote:

> I just don't know about compatibility with older versions. Distribute is
> fine with python >= 2.5, but I haven't tested it on python 2.4.

Python 2.4 is probably very nearly deceased in MacPorts anyway so I wouldn't call that a deal-breaker. Ideally we would eventually move all ports that currently use python 2.4 bits over to a newer version like 2.6 or 2.7 and then delete the 2.4 bits. But there are quite a lot of ports affected so it is quite an undertaking.