After latest updates, Gramps crashes on startup - the problem seems to be with Platypus

David Rowe drowe at roden.myzen.co.uk
Wed May 19 12:59:30 PDT 2010

For everyone's information:

Re my message on 18/05/2010 12:15 'After latest updates, Gramps crashes
on startup':

    Gramps (gramps @3.2.0, Revision 1) was working OK until 18/05/2010
    but after the latest set of MacPorts upgrades Gramps no longer
    started on my system:

    289: ERROR: gramps.py: line 138: Unhandled exception
    Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "/opt/local/share/gramps/gramps.py", line 187, in <module>
         errors = run()
       File "/opt/local/share/gramps/gramps.py", line 179, in run
         from gui.grampsgui import startgtkloop
       File "/opt/local/share/gramps/gui/grampsgui.py", line 63, in
    <module>
         import Utils
       File "/opt/local/share/gramps/Utils.py", line 49, in <module>
         from GrampsLocale import codeset
       File "/opt/local/share/gramps/GrampsLocale/__init__.py", line 23,
    in <module>
         from _GrampsLocale import *
       File "/opt/local/share/gramps/GrampsLocale/_GrampsLocale.py",
    line 137, in <module>

    unicode(time.strftime('%B',(0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1)),codeset).lower() : 1,
    LookupError: unknown encoding:

    When I reverted some of the upgrades:
    gettext                        0.17_4 < 0.18_0
    python26                       2.6.5_0 < 2.6.5_1
    glib2                          2.22.5_0 < 2.24.1_0
    gtk2                           2.18.8_0 < 2.20.1_0
    atk                            1.28.0_0 < 1.30.0_0

    Then Gramps worked again.

After some investigation, I think we can point the finger at a different
piece of software:

I have let MacPorts update its ports to the latest versions - the ones I
reported as causing the mysterious crash.
If I open up terminal and type 'gramps' (or rather
'/opt/local/bin/gramps') then Gramps starts OK - there are no problems.

However, for convenience, I have been using a utility called Platypus
that takes a shell script and wraps a minimal MacOS app around it so
that you can run the script from the MacOS dock. See
http://www.sveinbjorn.org/platypus.
The script I used was simply:

#!/bin/sh
/opt/local/bin/gramps

If I run this script from the terminal command line, then again Gramps
starts OK.
However if I use Platypus to run the script, then we get the errors I
described above. Platypus must be doing something to the environment
that messes up Gramps when it starts.

This is all rather strange - I have been using Platypus to launch Gramps
for over a year now and I have also been using it to launch Gnucash and
Inkscape with no problems. Something must have happened in one of the
following:

    gettext @0.18_0
    python26 @2.6.5_1+darwin
    glib2 @2.24.1_0+darwin
    gtk2 @2.20.1_0+x11
    atk @1.30.0_0

to introduce a sensitivity to whatever Platypus is doing.
The obvious workround is to avoid Platypus, particularly for
Python-based applications like Gramps

David Rowe