gnome starter

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Thu Nov 25 01:51:52 PST 2010

Hi All,

	Sorry, for getting to this so late, but I wanted to try a few things myself
	and do not much time.

	To the problem of the Display being in use and RANDR message.
	Evidently, the startup of X.app and XQuartz have changed since Leopard
	may be even Tiger!

	Before, your .profile was loaded when X was started, also, If you wanted to start
	X apps from Terminal you had set the DISPLAY variable and export it.
	That is the I had it set up.

	Well, setting Display in .profile cause X.app and Xquartz to think that the Display is in use.
	I took out setting DISPLAY in .profile and these error messages went away and X starts up
	correctly as can be seen in system.log.

	O.K. So far so good.
	But, evidently a system wide xinitrc is being loaded according to system.log.
	There is a message waiting for xinitrc to catch up.
	IS this normal and correct?
	The system wide xinitrc is located at /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
	There is also one installed in /opt/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
	Do they need to be removed ?

	I also noticed that even setting DISPLAY has an effect my .profile is not loaded because my aliases
	are missing.
	Where is X.app and Xquartz getting the PATH variable from, because it is setup to use macport, but
	the PATH is /opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/usr/texbin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/X11/bin
	I would like to correct the multiple entries.

	But, now comes the even more bizarre part!
	I tried the script in the wiki with metacity in 90-gnome.sh in ~/.xinitrc.d with a+x
	X starts up them quits. restarts and quits again.
	Here is the important part in system.log
	Nov 25 10:30:45 QuayJayOneX org.macosforge.xquartz.startx[26013]: /Users/quayjay/.xinitrc.d/90-gnome.sh: line 14: exec: gnome-session: not found
Nov 25 10:30:45 QuayJayOneX org.macosforge.xquartz.startx[26013]: /Users/quayjay/.xinitrc.d/90-gnome.sh: line 11: exec: metacity: not found
Nov 25 10:30:45 QuayJayOneX org.macosforge.xquartz.startx[26013]: /opt/X11/bin/xinit:  Operation not permitted (errno 1):  can't send HUP to process group 26180
Nov 25 10:30:45 QuayJayOneX org.macosforge.xquartz.startx[26013]: waiting for X server to shut down
Nov 25 10:30:45 QuayJayOneX org.macosforge.xquartz.startx[26013]: Quitting Xquartz
Nov 25 10:30:45 QuayJayOneX org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx[24464]: font_cache: Done
Nov 25 10:30:46 QuayJayOneX com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[91] (org.macosforge.xquartz.startx): Throttling respawn: Will start in 7 seconds

	So what gives ? Metacity and gnome-session are there! Do I have to hard code the path or even set the PATH-variable in 90-gnome.sh
	I know that the gnome-session is there because without the script I get the following message in Xquartz xterm:
Failed to start message bus: launchd's environment variable DBUS_LAUNCHD_SESSION_BUS_SOCKET is empty, but should contain a socket path.

EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon

	Can someone please direct me to decent literature that can help set things up properly! The wiki is definitely incomplete.
	I am not X-savvy, but know enough to work through things.

	Thanx in advance.

	regards
		Keith.