Just found out Ports/Fink is not the same

James Hozier guitarscn1 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 16:39:40 PDT 2010

I had no idea Ports and Fink were two different things. I'm relatively
new to Mac products (but very familiar with Unix) so at first I thought
that the Ports/Fink system was the same, and that both used the same
repos/sources or whatever. However I discovered the two were different but
Fink seems to be less active (I posted to their ML a couple weeks ago and
nobody has responded yet). I'm very happy with MacPorts, but what exactly
are the differences between Ports and Fink? (If possible a description in
an unbiased POV)