Installed macports what to do next

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Aug 25 12:49:31 PDT 2011

On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:53 PM, james collins wrote:

> I used subversion to get the ports tree.

So you followed the instructions on the wiki and now 'port sync' works?

> Rsync isn't working and I don't know why? The first time I got macports it worked?

It's something local to your network setup (or your ISP).

> I synced via the files I got through subversion. But selfupdate doesn't work, failing because of rsync. I have edited my sources.conf file.

If rsync won't work, you probably can't use 'selfupdate' but if you configure for subversion, you can use 'port sync' to update your portfiles (and you can install a new macports version via the package on the website when there is a new release).

> So I am trying to figure out why rsync isn't working. I have run selfupdate with the -v -d flags and I can put in my terminal output.

That would probably be necessary for anyone to assist you, but it's most likely a firewall that you have setup to block rsync.

> Why can't my macports find the recoll port? I have found recoll on my computer from the sources from the port tree?

You didn't say that you followed the instructions exactly (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SyncingWithSVN)

You need to do all three steps (checkout, configure your sources.conf, and run port -d sync)

> Just curious, I know rsync would still fail but shouldn't macports find recoll?

yes, if you configured it correctly, it would find it.

--
Daniel J. Luke