Why does MacPorts Mercurial behave differently from Windows Mercurial?

Russell Hanneken rhanneken at pobox.com
Thu Jan 20 21:49:11 PST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 7:55 PM, Arno Hautala wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 06:07, Russell Jones
> <russell.jones at physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Might be the EOL character sequence differing. Have you tried applying the utilities in the port dos2unix?
>
> It's not an EOL issue, below is the output I receive when running the
> sample sequence.

I tried using Unix-style EOLs with Windows Mercurial, and Windows-style EOLs with MacPorts Mercurial.  It made no difference.  Windows Mercurial still merges successfully, and MacPorts Mercurial still reports a merge conflict.

> I haven't tested this using the packaged installation from Selenic to
> narrow it down as a MacPorts vs Mac bug, but I can say that the Ubuntu
> distribution completes a successful merge.

Interestingly, my brother tells me the FreeBSD ports collection Mercurial *does* exhibit the same problem with the merge conflict.  Is there some connection between the FreeBSD ports collection Mercurial and MacPorts Mercurial?

By the way, I read further in _Mercurial: The Definitive Guide_, and I came across another example where the book shows a successful automatic merge and I get a merge conflict.  I'll try to find that example again.

Regards,

Russell Hanneken
rhanneken at pobox.com