Cannot setup macports, error on Xcode binaries

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Fri Jun 24 02:01:48 PDT 2011

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2011, at 18:41, Dan-George Filimon wrote:
>
>> Please help:
>>
>> $sudo port install guile
>>
>> Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
>>
>> Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
>>
>> --->  Computing dependencies for guileError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
>>
>> --- --- ---
>> I've added the Xcode binaries to my .profile but it still doesn't work.
>> Invoking gcc/make/... from the command line works as normal :)
>
> What's in your .profile is irrelevant to MacPorts.
>
> It sounds like Xcode is not installed correctly. This is one of the first items in our FAQ.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#missingxcode

As I wrote, I had the exact same problem, and I re-installed Xcode4 from
scratch, and MacPorts was _still_ unable to find Xcode4

My conclusion is that there's a corruption somewhere in MacPorts based
upon the fact, that when I re-installed MacPorts from the ground up I
had no problems at all !

Try pushing the MacPorts install to the side and re-install MacPorts:
mv /opt/local /opt/local-old

If the newly installed MacPorts can see Xcode4 then there's a corruption
in the old install of MacPorts

One could then erase the newly installed version and move the old one
back to see if the problem still persists:
rm -r /opt/local
mv /opt/local-old /opt/local

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen